Our Place in the Healthcare System
Canuck Place is a friend to and works closely with the many other organizations that collectively deliver healthcare to the residents of British Columbia.
Canuck Place plays a unique and integral role in British Columbia's healthcare system in relation to children with life threatening illnesses and their families. We provide BC's only hospice option for children – an option that exists in only a few places in the world.
Canuck Place relies on the generosity of individuals, corporations, and various organizations to raise approximately 75% of its operating funds, with the remaining 25% funded by the provincial government. Over 80% of funds raised goes directly to patient care which is available to families at no cost.
Canuck Place is a recognized leader for best practices in pediatric palliative care, and our doctors, nurses and other professional staff are routinely asked to give presentations throughout the province, across Canada and internationally.
Canuck Place has a formal affiliation agreement with the Children’s and Women’s Health Centre in Vancouver, BC's only children’s hospital.
For this reason, in partnership with community and provincial healthcare partners, Canuck Place is working towards expanding and enhancing its outreach programs to further extend its consulting services to healthcare professionals and to support children in the communities where they live.