"It was my first month volunteering at Canuck Place. I
was already impressed with the volunteer training
course and the staff members we met during that training.
One summer afternoon while the children napped, I
was manning the 2nd floor desk so the nurses could have
a meeting. I heard a bustle of activity in the
adjacent suite where I knew a child had died the night
before. Devida, one of the cleaning staff, approached and
said, "Do you want to see something? The family is
still here in the house and I think they will be
I entered the room somewhat reluctantly. Devida had
cleaned and stripped the room-- except for one bed.
A single red rose lay on the tidied sheets of the bed
where the child had died.
It occurred to me that every member of Canuck Place
Staff knew how to show compassion for the families
Nita Wardlow, Canuck Place Family Volunteer
- Search for other volunteer opportunities...
- National resource for Canadian volunteers...
- Link to Vantage Point's website... (formerly known as Volunteer Vancouver)
- Read about volunteers Rick & Brad
- Canuck Place Volunteers’ stories included in latest publication
- Man's Best Friend
- Nita shares her experience of volunteering at Canuck Place.