Final Wishes Help Canuck Place Families
In 2009, at age 67, Alex Cosens was battling cancer in an assisted-living home when he decided to put his estate in order. Wanting his assets to make a positive difference to those in need, Alex discussed planned giving options with close friend and executor of his estate, Bruce Gibson. After researching local charities, Alex made arrangements to designate $75,000 in his Will to Canuck Place. Sadly, Alex died on the same day he prepared his final arrangements.
Although he never had children of his own, Alex felt that the area of pediatric palliative care was very worthy of his support. In addition to his generous financial backing, Alex also bestowed a wonderful array of miniature figurines to Canuck Place. The amazing toys from his collection are often used in interactive play therapy sessions and bring smiles and joy to children on our program.
“Alex had peace of mind knowing that his final wishes were communicated,” shared Bruce Gibson. “He always had a soft spot in his heart for kids and he would be very pleased that his donation is helping so many Canuck Place families and that his toys were being enjoyed.”
Born in Winnipeg, Alex spent his adulthood in the Lower Mainland. He worked as a dedicated Air Canada employee before his retirement. In his leisure time; Alex participated in a variety of hobbies and recreational pursuits. He was a sports trivia enthusiast, a collector; he coached men’s league softball and baseball, and was a good friend to many.
For more information about leaving a legacy gift to Canuck Place, please visit http://www.canuckplace.org/legacy
- Poppy info
- View the latest construction photos
- The Canucks playoff run inspire Vancouver Island quilters to make quilts for Canuck Place kids - one for every win!
- The Seahawks brought footballs and smiles during a short visit on July 14, 2011.
- 200 km ride from South Surrey to Hope makes a stop in Langley to visit with Canuck Place teen Stephen Berdesco
- Blanket donation provides comfort and care to Canuck Place kids
- Support of a pilot project for Nurse Practitioner home visits
- SCA Donates Ongoing Supply of Tork® Paper Products
- Gift enables purchase of medical bed