Canuck Place children & families experience the excitement of the Winter Olympics first hand
During recent visits from members of the Russian Olympic delegation and from a former Gold medalist, the children and families of Canuck Place had the opportunity to feel part of the Olympics and share in the spirit of the games.
From Russia with love
With the next Winter Olympics to be held in Sochi, Russia, representatives visited the Hospice to provide the children with gifts of official clothing and merchandise of the Sochi games. The scarves, t-shirts, and toques were warmly received. However it was the plush-toy mascot that garnered the greatest interest – including being an inspiration for the kids’ paintings. View Photos
Family members were also invited to visit the Team Russia house / Sochi pavilion the next day. There they were treated as VIPs and had the chance to meet, take photographs and get autographs from men’s figure skating champion Evgeni Plushenko!
Thank you to Team Russia and all its partners for their generous gifts and wonderful hospitality!
Katie Weatherston – 2006 Gold Medalist in Torino as a member of Team Canada’s national women’s hockey team, stopped by the Hospice for a quick visit. Katie shared her various medals, including the very heavy gold medal from the Torino Olympics, and her Olympic Torch (which she ran with in her native Thunder Bay) with the children, families, staff and volunteers at Canuck Place. Katie also posed for photos and signed autographs. View Photos
Thank you Katie for your visit and sharing your stories and medals with us! Good luck in the future and for a speedy recovery.
- Poppy info
- View the latest construction photos
- Chocolate making with Thomas Haas
- Over $1 million raised by Canucks for Kids Fund Telethon presented by Chevrolet
- Surprise visit excites kids of all ages
- Shaw Employees help raise $33,034
- Canuck Place Torch Bearers
- Excitement of the Winter Olympics
- On the open road with an adapted tricycle
- Accreditation Canada designation
- Year-end tournament benefits Canuck Place
- Proceeds support Canuck Place