COVID-19: Information updates for families and donors.
Families and supporters of Canuck Place,
At a time like this, we are reminded of the resilience we must see in one another. Children’s author A.A. Milne wrote in Winnie the Pooh,
“Promise me you will always remember, you are braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”
Important information for our families
During this challenging time, we want to assure you that our team at Canuck Place continues to deliver critical care for children and families. Our nurses, doctors, counsellors, kitchen, recreation therapy, housekeeping, and clinical administrative support continue to manage clinical essential services at our hospices, in hospitals and in homes of our children.
- We continue to provide care to children and families, including with admissions to both hospice locations.
- Due to the need to minimize numbers of people in the facility and support support social distancing, we cannot have siblings of children admitted to the hospice for respite or symptom management stays. Siblings may come with parents/guardians of a child admitted for end-of-life care. If you have any questions or concerns about this, please discuss with the intake nurse.
- We are continually assessing and modifying practices as needed to ensure we are following best practices for infection prevention and control, and are taking guidance from our partners in the regional health authorities, PHSA and the BCCDC.
- We are screening all children and families coming for inpatient or outpatient care (clinical or counselling) for the presence of respiratory symptoms and travel history and are requiring anyone with symptoms stay away from the hospice.
- We have changed some of our practices to increase social distancing, are reinforcing hand hygiene, cough etiquette.
- When possible we are using virtual care to support children and families, including for clinical support, counselling, and bereavement.
- Many of our non-clinical and support colleagues are working from home whenever and wherever possible.
- Our 24/7 clinical care line is always here for families and health care provider colleagues around the province.
- If you are worried about COVID-19 or would like more information please have a look at these resources:
- We have suspended volunteers and in-person group activities.
Thinking of our families at this very challenging time,
Dr. Hal Siden,
Medical Director, Canuck Place Children’s Hospice
Clinical Program Director, Canuck Place Children’s Hospice
Important information for our donors and supporters
Generous donations from donors like you support the ongoing clinical care for children and families from across BC and Yukon.
Our non-clinical teams are taking proactive steps to ensure the safety of our community. All of our volunteer shifts have been suspended, and teams like finance, human resources, communications, and fundraising, will work remotely to ensure the safety of our medical staff, community, and especially the children and families in our care.
Thank you for your patience as we enter a new way of working remotely; please be patient with our timeliness in responding to your important voice messages and gift receipts. We are working hard to maintain the levels of service and responsiveness we always promise.
Canuck Place Virtual Office
Our Granville Office is closed to the public with only essential staff working in shifts; however, we are here to support your needs.
- If you know the direct line or email of the individual you’re trying to reach, please contact them directly, we are online and accessing voice mail regularly.
- You can call us at 604.731.4847 during regular business hours and your call will be directed. If you don’t know the email address of your Canuck Place contact, we can provide it when you call.
- Please email us at [email protected] and your message will similarly be re-directed for prompt reply.
Canuck Place Events
We are postponing all events from now through to the end of May and will be looking at events planned for this summer as we monitor the global health situation.
Canuck Place will continue to need to raise funds to provide care and our team is actively planning to connect with our incredible supporters who want to help care for children and families with life-threatening illnesses across BC. Thank you for your understanding and generous support.
Your health matters to us. Here are links to key & timely information regarding COVID-19.
Our Medical Director, Dr. Hal Siden, is working with colleagues across the health care system to regularly review and update resources. Here are the direct links to updates to the BC Centre for Disease Control and from Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) and Ministry of Health:
Thank you for building courage in our families
Because of you and your loyal support Canuck Place will be here for children and families today and in the difficult times ahead. We are thinking of you and your families and wishing you resilience through this unprecedented time.
Chief Executive Officer, Canuck Place Children’s Hospice